When you find yourself wide awake at 3am, there are limited things to do. Back when insomnia was a constant companion, I routinely got in the car and went to WalMart to shop for the most random of things. Dog food, toilet paper, lightbulbs…whatever. WalMart is an odd place at 3am. Come to think of it, WalMart is odd at 3pm, too.
I have slept soundly for months so this 3am wake up was an unwelcome surprise but I slipped out of bed and tried a variety of things to pass the time.
- I watched part of “Monster” with Charlize Theron. Disturbing film. Changed channel to infomercial.
- The Kardashian girls have a skin care line. The doctor said they were involved in the process from beginning to end. Huh. Who knew? Changed channel to Jim Bakker.
- Have you seen Jim Bakker lately? Turned television off.
- Started a load of laundry.
- Did some online banking.
- Thought about sitting on the lanai but thought about the plethora of frogs out there. Skipped that.
- Texted my son because I knew he’d be getting off his college job of delivering sandwiches. Heard back from him and that always warms my heart….but I was still awake….
- so I prayed.
I didn’t pray for sleep because I know that I’m awake for a reason. There’s something I need to work out or work through and a conversation with God, even laced with the cobwebs of my sleepy brain, was what I needed. He gave rest to my worry and eased my anxiety and sent me to slip back between the sheets.
And then W’s alarm went off at 5:15. Time to get up and make the coffee with a clear mind. 🙂
Happy Friday. Have a blessed day!